Caution: This is not a typical bakwas post..was in a bit of reflective mood today. Don’t say you haven’t been warned!
- People you have grown up with start getting married. (4 out of my college group of 6 and 2 out of my school group of 4 are married.)
- Your discussions no longer involve trying to understand if a guy is boyfriend material. They revolve more on the lines of is he husband material.
- The question you are most frequently asked is” So what kind of a guy are you looking for?” And yet you don’t seem to have a convincing answer ready.(I was once asked this question at a dinner with a family friend. Trust me, it isn’t easy when you are put in a spot in front of 20 pairs of eyes just waiting for you to answer.)
- You cannot come out of a wedding/ family occasion without being introduced to some long lost aunt’s amerika returned son.
- When the most common blessing you receive is “Jaldi se tumhe koi acha sa ladka mil jaye”
- When the most common compliment you receive is “Your husband will be the luckiest guy in the world” (My friend introduced me to her fiancée last week. After dinner, my friend called me to say that her fiancée thought I was a nice girl and that my husband would be the luckiest guy in the world. I am still unsure if that is a compliment for me or an insult for my friend.)
- When random bacchas and street urchins start calling you aunty. (I was at the doctor’s clinic waiting for my turn, when a pair of twins got fascinated with the cell phone in my hand. The bolder of the two trotted towards me and said” Aunty can I please see your cell phone?” Needless to say, I faked a call and scrammed out of there.)
- You invite your boss for your birthday party where his baccha starts singing "Happy birthday dear aunty!" (I had to endure 1 whole minute of Happy Birthday dear aunty when my boss’s over enthusiastic kiddo decided to sing for me.)
- When you have to keep reminding people of your age just so that they don’t assume you are as old as some of your friends. (I have devised a new trick. Just tell them my year of graduation and let them do the math J)
- When salespeople at sari shops try selling saris to you with a sly “Abhi toh baby ko bhi sari ki jarorat lagegi”
- You can get great discounts just by smiling at sales boys. (Yeah I have tried that…It works!)
- When your doctor who once got irritated by your incessant chatter starts getting amused and actually responds back with a fair degree of blabbering himself.
- When you can get a government official to actually talk to you without making it seem as if he is doing you some kind of a favor.(It took me 15 minutes to get my car documents in place at the RTO while my dad was asked to run around from counter to counter before being asked to come back the next day.)
- When people start taking offence when you call them uncle.
- When you wonder if you are in the right job or if you are with the right guy.(I have been having these thoughts for over a year now but yet have decided to stick with what I have because change scares me)
- When you start analyzing your life and wonder if you would do things differently if you could do them all over again.
- When you watch movies and start identifying yourself with the characters.
- When you look at college going kids and wonder where those wonder years disappeared.
- When you have to cancel lunch plans with your close buddy more than once because something official came up.
- When your parents start taking your opinion on financial matters.
- When you start buying gifts for your parents on their birthdays.
- When your friends ask you to be their child’s godmother.
- When you read emails, which talk about quarter life crisis and identify with most of the points.
- When you walk comfortably in stilettos and trip wearing flats.(Now, is that just me??)
- When you aren’t excited about your birthday anymore, infact each approaching birthday fills you with dread.
List abhi baki hai mere dost..just dont have the energy to keep my eyes open right now..too sleepy..will add more later :)
Edit:This post has ended up making most of my friends feel old. Trust me that wasnt the idea at all. I just wanted to write about all the irritations and frustrations we all are going through.
I am sure there are things we all wanna change about our lives right now...trust me I have a list ready. I guess its all a part of growing up.
If we start feeling old at 20, I wonder how we will feel when we touch our 30s. **Shudders**